Its Independence Day!! Nigeria is 46 years old!!
Happy Independence Day Y’all!!!
I know Nigeria has had her ups and downs but we all cant help but wish for the best for her all the time. Corruption is rife – yeah we know!! Rome wasn’t built in a day and Rome was also once upon a time corrupt with its fair share of ups & down!! We’ll get there one day – A corruption free NIGERIA!!
Not all bad things are inherently manifest in Nigeria & good things are happening there too!! October is here and the countdown has begun!! Christmas is around the corner and the end of the year draws nigh!! Wow!! 2006 almost over just like that?
Calabar AKA Caanan City – The Land of milk & honey is where its happening this Xmas!! There’s gonna be a Calabar Christmas Carnival there organised by our hardworking CRS Governor Mr Donald Duke and his lovely wife Onari. They are a very beautiful and handsome couple who have served the state diligently these past 7years. (See their pictures below)
The Calabar Christmas Carnival is scheduled to hold from December 1 2006 - January 1 2007. This festive period will be loaded with events and colourful activities promoting the rich culture of Cross River State (CRS) and also boost tourism. The Christmas Carnival activities scheduled for this year includes:–
- Switching on of Christmas Lights at the Millenim Square.(Majority of the streets in Calabar will be beautifully decorated with nicely designed Christmas street lights & decorations. When lit at night, its amazing!!)
- Boat Race/ Parade, Boat Regatta, (A mix of the rich riverine cultures of CRS & Rivers State. (Mrs Duke is from Bonny, Rivers State)
- There will also be a street parade of competitive floats about 12km long, made up of a Trinidad & Tobago themed carnival floats including traditional dances and masquerades, Trinidad & Tobago Steel Band, Calypso Music and loads more!! Pure fun & thrill I can assure you! The cross section of the state will be massively represented in the carnival float. It will be fun galore and Mr Duke and his wife led the Carnival Procession last year and will do the same again this year!!
- City Walk & Campaign against HIV/AIDS. I have participated in several of these walks myself in past years.
- Christmas Village & Shopping Arcade showcasing our culture and various foods. Lots of Ekpang Nkwukwo, Edikang Ikong, Afang, Ukang Ukom, Afia Efere, Usung Abia as well as 404!! LOL!! Well not only food will be served there but there will be lots of artifacts and other cultural products for sale.
- Xmas Festival Raffle Draw
- An 'The Apprentice' themed Reality Show
- Carol Night
- Musical Show ushering in the new year and a fireworks display to bring on the new year. This will also serve as an avenue to discover new talents as well as showcase old ones. Governor Duke plays the Saxaphone and is sure to give a performance during the variety night!! Other musicians will be there also and those lined up for this year include: Wyclef Jean, Damien Marley, Sunny Neji, Sammy Okposo, Tuface Idibia, Blackky and a whole lot of others. Mighty Sparrow and Maxi Priest were around last Xmas and may put in a repeat appearance this year.
Of course, there’s the wonderful Obudu Cattle Ranch to relax in. Its a tourist's haven!! Mr Duke has been organising carnivals like these since 1999 and as this is going to be his last Xmas as CRS Governor, he is leaving with a bang so its bound to be even more fun than all the previous years. The civil servants in CRS are always given a well deserved rest/holiday in December - fully paid!!
The Calabar Christmas Carnival is a month long International festival and creates an enabling environment for tourism as well as allowing Nigerians at home and in the diaspora to wind down after a whole year of working hard. So make it a date in December with my darling Caanan City cos its going to be FUN, FUN, FUN!! I have participated in several carnivals myself and I can attest to the excitement as well as the cheerful atmosphere released upon the state by the carnival every christmas!! All the activities will be interesting and entertaining!! I personally look forward to every forthcoming activity each December week!!
I am inviting you all to come and participate in this Christmas festival in December 2006. This is the time to plan ahead towards participating in the festival. For those who intend to spend Christmas & the New Year in Nigeria - Please do make out time and visit Cross River State!! You are all very welcome!!