Tuesday, October 17, 2006

MY "5 A DAY"

I was at my favourite supermarket called TESCO today. I could not believe my eyes when I got to the fruits section. They had changed the whole layout and rearranged the positioning of all my favourite fruits. All my favourite fruits have been moved from their regular positions down the aisle to the Checkout area in full view of the Check out staff. I couldnt help laughing to my self!! I REFUSE TO BE DETERRED!!! Tesco must do more than that to stop me.

I love going to Tesco. You all know the government recommends an intake of at least five portions of fruit or vegetables per person a day to help reduce the risk of some cancers, heart disease and many other chronic conditions. Well, my “5 A DAY” comes from good old Tesco. Each Time I walk into my local Tesco Extra, I always head straight to the end of the fruit aisle to say hello and work my way down. I start from the
Red grapes, move down to the Green Grapes, give way to others shopping for fruits, go and get some croissants for my man, get back to the cherries, ooh they are always so yummy, I love them so much - then I head towards the berries. Ohhhh, there’s always the blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries. Mind you I never purposely open any of the fruit boxes or fruit bags myself. I only deal with already opened ones - not my fault that other shoppers decide to leave open the boxes.

By the time I head out of Tesco with whatever I decide to buy that day, I would have had more than the required 5 portions of fruits or vegetables that the doctor prescribes. He he he. I do need my 5 A DAY you know!! I’m still a growing pikin. Naughty I know but I’m not the only culprit.
See some other fruit tasting confessions here. (Scroll down toward the end of her post.)

I must admit I am also one of those who go specifically to the fruits section in Tesco to taste the fruits. Well, Sometimes I do actually buy some of the fruits and take them home with me so don’t you go wrinkling your nose at me!! Now they have changed the layout and moved the grapes next to the check-out counter to deter us FRUIT TASTERS. Always used to give me a thrill checking to see if the staff are looking my way. He he he. Will this repositioning stop my antics? Only time will tell - so these are my confessions!!!

****************************************************
I love Sunday shopping at Tesco. There are always these mighty reductions on perishable goods as well as goods nearing their expiry date especially when its almost closing time – 4pm. Call me an Ijebu if you like but I just love all the discounts. They are simply marvellous!! The fruits, the bakery, frozen foods, even general items. I’m a guru in locating all the various spots where the reduced items are stationed in my local store. All those items that I whiff my nose at their ridiculous prices on weekdays I get to cart home and buy in large quantities at a wonderful price on Sundays– if you get my drift.

**************************************************
I learnt a new word today from Tessa Jowell – INCANDESCENT!!!

I must use it very soon in my blog. She used the word in describing her fury when the horrible comments David Blunkett -former Home Office Minisiter made about his fellow colleagues in Tony Blair's Cabinet and about her (Tessa Jowell) in particular to his biographer got leaked and were published in the daily papers. And she rolled her eyes with indignation at the camera for added effect. Hmmmn INCANDESCENT - now who does that remind me of?

31 comments:

  1. where in the world in Tesco? :)

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so you're one of them........naughty, naughty !

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehehe! Calabar gal... abeg taste the stuff jare! How will you go about it now it has been moved so close to the check out? Now, your purse will suffer more!!! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. peel a banana, and if the Tesco staff chase you, throw the skin on the floor beneath their feet and start running while laughing maniacally.

    they will be simply INCANDESCENT, I assure you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abeg!!! They should put the fruits inside the tills sef, I will taste them first!!!

    LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all you cheeky fruit-tasters make me INCANDESCENT with rage!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Keshi: where in the world is Tesco? UK, Europe, America, Asia and coming soon to the high street near you!! lol!!

    @ boso: yes oh. we're plenty in the club. (smile)

    @nyemoni: Any attempt for my purse to suffer. I refuse to be deterred.

    @the angry medic: No bananas are for home pleasure only. Not as easy to pop into my mouth as cherries and grapes. LOL @ INCANDESCENT tesco staff.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    @londonbuki & beautifully human: LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word. You are one of those too?

    At my local store at dominicks or publix, i was worse. I would grab some fruit and put it in one of those see through bags, grab some nuts (which they had in huge bins next to the fruit and you could scoop what u wanted). I would actually mix the nuts: some cashew nuts, pistachios and peanuts and put a little bit of those in a bag. Only then would i begin my shopping going aisle by aisle. By the time i bit the bread area, i would be done with my fruit and nuts. I would then grab a diet coke at the checkout to wash it all down. I would of course pay for the soda.

    So bad and i really believe that its the weight from the nuts that i cant lose. God's way of punishing me for ehm freely tasting. But i spent a lot of money in their stores especially the overpriced items like Charmin Tissue and shrimp. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL!!! so lets see what u will do now.U dan dey make dem loose money since and dem dan catch ya drift now.. we no wan see ya face for paper say dem catch u for tasting fruits without paying o.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Uzo: lol!! Oh Boy! Ur own don pass my own oh!! We hereby unanimously appoint U president of 'tasters club' LOL!!!

    @Naija Bloke: lol. Any attempt to put my face for paper. As per the tasting - ALUTA CONTINUA!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LoL - haha - its not the ijebu in you - I do so myself - let me catch me. But seriously Tesco is da best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So that's why I keep finding opened bags of grapes lying around when I go to Tesco! Calabar gal so you are one of the naughty customers. God don catch you now :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how I would love to see some appealing fresh fruit and vegetables right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha so ur one of the fruit tasters, well done o, lol, so no fruit tasting again abi or wot is ur new plan, this is too funny

    ReplyDelete
  15. I meant where IN the world IS Tesco. Sorry abt that :)

    Is it comin to Aus too LOL ok!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, yes oh, I have to taste them too. And I never buy the one I've tasted, LOL. I need 2 fresh untasted one. It's a terrible habit, but I eat almost anything in the store. Fruits r the easiest of course, but I drink too! Of course, I hardly ever pay for the drink.

    MM, shuld I be writing this here?

    OK I TAKE BACK ALL I WROTE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol!!! Vera!!!! U taste the drinks also? OMG!!! U r unanimously voted vice president of the 'tasters club' to assist uzo our president.

    @naija bloke: u know those incomplete six packs you were complaining about, if you see any more 6packs missing - all fingers point towards vera!!

    @life: yeah tesco is d best. beats sainsbury & asda hands down.

    @TP, biodun, butterfly girl: lol.

    @keshi: Sonner than you think. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @lash 505: Tut, tut, tut!! Setting a bad example for the kids. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I accept your nomination proudly...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I have found you. You are so intersting! The blog is full of colours & music & life! Glad to have visited it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. calabar girl...you and vera ehn...we need to reform you guys...you cannot keep stealing
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. lmao..unbelievable... simply unbelievable... calabagal, uzo, vera.. yall are SOOOO WRONG!!!.. hehe... i've tasted the grapes but i get queasy just thinkin about how many other people have put their hands in, how i haven't washed it... bla bla.. so I don't do the fruits thing... but juice now... i've done that a few times.. hehe.. its not my fault that their grocery store is so big that i have to walk around a lot to find stuff and get thirsty in the process (i mean somebody's gotta pay for that... and it ain't me!!!.. lmao)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @OWNB: OMG!!! Juice!!! I should try that one day. Wonder if I will get caught? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ shamrock: hi babes!! Welcome. howz hong Kong?

    @ diamond hawk: stealing? stealing?? We didnt take anything out of the store that we didnt pay for - literally. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Men!!! Fruit tasting....am scared shitless of that ish man, ever since we counted inventory for a grocery store and hands that I'd seen scratching butts and cleaning nostrils and playing with dandruff on their hair were dipped into the fruits that were being arranged. Now imagine all the other things that happened from the time the fruits were dropped till they got on the counter....

    *My name is Mamarita and am a recovering fruit taster*

    ReplyDelete
  26. @mama rita: Welcome babes. Recovering fruit taster eh? Hmmmn maybe I'll change tactics and start opening the bags and boxes myself to make sure no other hands have been there yet. Its safer that way isnt it? (smile) Try harder to deter my fruit tasting. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was going to say chei! Ole! but then I read what Uzo had to say and that just tops your little arrangement, doesn't it?
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  28. @in my head and around me: Hmmmn, these fruittasting confessions are a revelation. Maybe we should conduct a research on fruit tasting hmmn? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's great to meet you guys all. Fruits, nuts and vegitables contain antioxidants, vitamins and fibre that help not only to reduce the risk of cancers but also help our cardiovascular and general well-being as well.

    Great blog, Calabar gal. Keep up the good job.

    For those of you interested in Nigerian politics, check out my blog at: - http://nigerianpolity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.