Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Ladies Beware!

There's so much stress in the air - at least around me right now. Christmas is around the corner. Presents to be bought for family - mine, his, nieces, nephews, aunties, uncles, sisters, brothers. This love that must be shared at christmas is stressing me out!!! So much expectations!! Maybe I should dissapear this christmas hmmn and appear after the New Year? I come back so tired each day but I give thanks to God for the ability to leave the house and I know that things can only get better. I have decided to tell you about three beautiful things that made my day.
1. Hubby is alive and well and still loves me!!
2. The christmas lights on Oxford street are so beautiful and the christmas decorations for the exterior of Debenhams, John Lewis and Marks and Spencer - Oxford Street branches are simply WOW!!!
3. Made this wonderful Fisherman Stew for hubby this evening - it was fingerlickinggood!!!

I'll leave you guys with this story that was forwarded to my inbox sometime ago. Its really food for thought.

LADIES BEWARE

Have you ever noticed gals who sit their handbags on public toilet floors - then go directly to their dining tables and set it on the table? Happens a lot! It's not always the 'restaurant food' that causes stomach distress. Sometimes "what you don't know 'will' hurt you"! Read on... Mum got so upset when guests came in the door and plopped their handbags down on the counter where she was cooking or setting up food. She always said that handbags are really dirty, because of where they have been. Smart Mum!!! It's something just about every woman carries with them. While we may know what's inside our handbags, do you have any idea what's on the outside?

Shauna Lake put handbags to the test - for bacteria - with surprising results. You may think twice about where you put your handbag. Women carry handbags everywhere; from the office to public toilets to the floor of the car. Most women won't be caught without their handbags. But did you ever stop to think about where your handbag goes during the day? "I drive a school bus so my handbag has been on the floor of the bus a lot." says one woman. "On the floor of my car, and in toilets." "I put my handbag in grocery shopping carts, on thefloor of the toilet while changing a nappy," says another woman "and of course in my home which should be clean."

We decided to find out if handbags harbour a lot of bacteria. We learned how to test them at Nelson Laboratories in Salt Lake, and then we set out to test the average woman's handbag. Most women told us they didn't stop to think about what was on the bottom of their handbag. Most said at home they usually set their handbags on top of kitchen tables and counters where food is prepared. Most of the ladies we talked to told us they wouldn't be surprised if their handbags were at least a little bit dirty. It turns out handbags are so surprisingly dirty, even the microbiologist who tested them was shocked.

Microbiologist Amy Karen of Nelson Labs says nearly all of the handbags tested were not only high in bacteria but high in harmful kinds of bacteria. Pseudomonas can cause eye infections, staphylococcus aurous can cause serious skin infections, and salmonella and e-coli found on the handbags could make people very sick. In one sampling, four of five handbags tested positive for salmonella, and that's not the worst of it. "There is fecal contamination on the handbags," says Amy. Leather or vinyl handbags tended to be cleaner than cloth handbags and lifestyle seemed to play a role. People with kids tended to have dirtier handbags than those without - with one exception. The handbag of one single woman who frequented Nightclubs had one of the worst contaminations of all. "Some type of feces, or possibly vomit" says Amy.

So the moral of this story - your handbag won't kill you, but it does have the potential to make you very sick if you keep it on places where you eat. Use hooks to hang your handbag at home and in toilets and don't put it on your desk, a restaurant table, or on your kitchen countertop. Experts say you should think of your handbag the same way you would a pair of shoes. "If you think about putting a pair of shoes onto your countertops, that's the same thing you're doing when you put your Handbag on the countertops" - your handbag has gone where individuals before you have sneezed, coughed, spat, urinated, emptied bowels, etc!Do you really want to bring that home with you? The microbiologists at Nelson also said cleaning a handbag will help. Wash cloth handbags and use leather cleaner to clean the bottom of leather handbags.

********************************************************************************

Well, One thing I know for sure - My handbag isnt going to see the floor of another public toilet ever again!!!

11 comments:

  1. Calabargal thanks for the advice on bags and hygiene but with a bag like yours,your post should read,CALABARGAL BEWARE!!!!Empty your bag and send it to the lab for testing and let us know the lab results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never put my bag on public toilet floors but the tube/trains... and then I drop the same bag on my bed!!! YUCK!!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sup calabar girl, how have u been? am so glad you blogging about this issue. I can't count the number of times l have had fights with my sisters based on this topic. You can just imagine!! same handbag you put in the bathrooms, use in the train, school , and then put it on the bed. Girl, love ya for this post. Stay loved this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats such a beautiful thing to say Calabar...u find joy in simple things, just like me. Way to go.

    I never leave my bag on a dirty floor. Yukkkkkk!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...thank you for posting the handbag article....I am going to link to you about this...for all the ladies who read me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: LOL!! Them send you come? Why must it be my bag you are insisting must go for the test first? I am a reformed big-bag carrying addict as from today!! (smile)

    @londonbuki: Yes those tube floors are something else - but when you've got so much load and baggage, you cant help but relieve ur arms while you're on the train!!

    @yankeenaijachick: Well, I'll still keep my bag on the bed but I'll be more aware of where I drop it carelessly from now on.

    @Keshi: Simple things do bring a lot of joy and happiness!! Thanks Girl!!

    Masgblog: Thanks girl for enlightening other ladies about this and for the link too. This handbag issue is a real eye opener!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep - handbags tend to get very dirty. So the lights on oxford street has gone up. Oh How I miss the sight. snif snif. thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. U r sooooo right!
    Thanks for the tips girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah i read this one someone's blog recently.. and just dang!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is highly unethical to post other people's comments without attributing them to the original author. Don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous: If you had bothered to read through my post before condemning me, you would have noticed this paragraph:

    "I'll leave you guys with this story that was forwarded to my inbox sometime ago. Its really food for thought."

    It is an excerpt from a forwarded mail for goodness sake!! And I did mention that it was from a forwarded mail!! Isnt that enough? Who am I supposed to credit? The previous person who forwarded it to me or the millions of people whose mailbox the post has passed through before it got to me?

    What more do you want that will pass as sufficient credit to the original author? Blood? Go get a life!!!

    Maybe you could enlighten me some more on whose comments I allegedly posted on my page without attributing the comments to the original author!! Please provide the Blog name, address & post title as well as the specific comments I allegedly stole please!!!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.