Friday, April 06, 2007

My Eventful Week

I was at the British Accounting Association annual conference at Royal Holloway University of London where hubby was also scheduled to give a presentation on and so I tagged along. It was fun listening to the PhD researchers giving their presentations and gaining from their wealth of knowledge. It lasted from Tuesday to Thursday and I enjoyed every bit of it. There were loads of forbidden and flour based foods pictured below which I resisted successfully.











After the plenary sessions and the afternoon sessions, we went for lunch and I stuck to my guns and went for protein only. There was an award ceremony in the evening and we took the coach to windsor where the cocktail awards was held. The waiters were tempting - moving about with platters of small chops. Here are pictures of what I had to contend with:









They kept on circulating with these platters of delicious looking food and each time I said "No, thank you", and the waiter or waitress moved away, the next one would simply come to you asking the same question, thinking you hadnt been served. After resisiting for all of 15 minutes, I threw all caution to the wind and tucked in. First the chicken, then the sushi, and then thought, Oh what the heck, Atkins Induction could start all over again the day after the conference.


But the conference wasnt all about food alone. I had an opportunity to meet with other researchers and we exchanged tips and information about databases from which we could get material for our research as well as how best to go about our various researches. There were loads of publishers at the conference too and they gave out loads of text books on accounting, finance, corporate governance as well as research journals on the previously mentioned topics which existence we were enlightened about and the usual markerpens, notepads, writing pads, diaries, pens etc. I'm getting to work reading the journal articles which focus on corporate governance and finding those relevant to my work.

I was quite fascinated by the founders building at the univeristy. Its history is that it was built in the early 18th century by a self made millionaire on his wife's suggestion to build a school purposely for women due to the norm at that time when women werent encouraged to go to school. So the building was completed and a college for women opened by Queen Mary in the 50th year of her reign. Unfortunately, neither Thomas Holloway nor his wife - Jane Holloway lived to see the opening of the college which was their vision but their names are etched firmly in the sands of time. I tried to get the very best pic of the founders building that the limitations of my S40 would allow thinking that getting the entire frame of the building would be doodle with an SLR camera and wishing I had one.









Apparently, there was a computer room available to delegates at the conference but I didnt get to know about it until the last day of the conference. I came back home to meet loads of mail waiting for moi. Amongst which were about six letters telling me "Thank you for your CV which we read with very great interest but unfortunately........" But it wasnt all unwelcome news. I had a very welcome email asking me if I would be available to attend an interview next week. Oh yes I will. Sent off an email confirming my attendance at once. Keeping my fingers crossed so wish me good luck. In the interim, do have a very lovely easter celebrations everyone!!!




26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time at the conference! Good on you for resisting all those yummy snacks - for a while anyway! I know how hard it is to stick to your diet when you are surrounded by so much temptation on offer.

    All the best with your coming interview. Be prepared and be calm and it will go well. Wishing you and hubby a wonderful Easter break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great easter.....and thanks for all the wonderful pictures of food....you've made me HUNGRY !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read, I was beginning to wonder if you were hiding from us the fact that you didn't hold out ;-). Well, it happens -- dieting and its wahalas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you had a ball. Happy easter to you too!


    The results are in. Come and see who made it to the next level!
    !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now u just made me hungry ...

    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dis english people and their sandwiches sha. Any small event, na so sandwiches dem go order with pastries. Come to think of it, can't even remember d last time i had one o. Maybe i'll get one sometime next week sha.

    BTW, good luck on yr interview o, may u claim d job in Jesus name. It's not easy finding a job in Ldn these days, me too don dey look like no man's biz these days. To God be d glory all d same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the picture of the sandwiches and the pastries don dey make hunger knack me if na me in fit resist am o u are very srong willed

    ReplyDelete
  8. U r makin me hungry Now! Lemmi go 4 Lunch!
    Lovely Post! Have a blessed Easter Too

    ReplyDelete
  9. can somebody say appetizing?! happy easter angel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy easter CG...all dose pics of food is not helping oh!hav a fab week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those foods are oh so tempting!Happy easter to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy easter calabar gal.it's ur girl linda.how u dey?holla at me ok? btw ur blog is sizzling hot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Easter! I am drooling at my desk, as I am also currently resisting. I can feel ny resolve breaking (thanks for that!). Sounds like you had fun though, Good Luck with the interview. I have claimed the job for you in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chai, see food o! Got me more hungry this morning I couldn't leave home with a cup o' cocoa! *sighs*

    And yeah, I love me some cooking, when i can help it.

    Guess you had a lovely break!

    ReplyDelete
  15. CG- everytime I come to this site to see if you have updated. I am met with all of this tantalizing food. Stop it! You are making me more hungry than I already am.Oh, by the way I have updated...

    ReplyDelete
  16. gosh, that'd have blown my 1000calorie diet sky high...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I See you had a lovely weekend..
    I am soo glad you resisted all the lovely treats i know it can be hard ..
    Well Done..
    Happy Easter
    Ciao..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So you ate all these food ehn?CG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Favoured Girl: Indeed you are first. Congratulations. I couldnt resist after that cocktail and tucked into everything else after that.

    @Boso: Now you see how my resistance was greatly tested. howz d fam?

    @Azuka: I couldnt hold out for long during that cocktail oh. It was HARD! LOL!!

    @Simply Gorgeous: Out hmmn? I wonder........

    @Ugo Daniels & Naija Bloke: more than yum, yum!! LOL!!

    @wienna: Thanks girl. It is double hard but we shall overcome. Seen Ubong Da yet? He's in ya backyard oh. (smile)

    @Racquelle-Cutie: those sandwiches. I stayed away from them sha. Too too tempting.

    @Klara, OWNB, Naija Vixen & LNC: Tempting indeed!! Very, very nicely put together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Linda Ikeji: Sizzling hot with all these tempting delicacies huh? (smile)

    @Monef: Thanks Girl!!

    @Yosh: I did have a very lovely break. Thanks.

    @Temmy Tayo: Now I know what you sound like. Thanks Girl. (smile)

    @Simply Gorgeous: Its becoming a picture blog for different varieties of food huh? (smile)

    @Chameleon: Girl you are back from Nice huh? I'm off to check up on you.

    @Abuja Babe: Resisted ke? Only to a certain extent. After that evening, I tucked into everything else. (smile)

    @Mrs Somebody: well, not exactly everything. Didnt eat any sandwiches at all. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm, that food looks so good. I'm glad you went ahead and treated yourself. Events like that I usually go on and eat in moderation so that way I'm not depriving myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I first read that you resisted the food, I doubted if you were human, thank God you proved you were 'flesh and blood' by tucking in. Life is for living a bed! Tomorrow is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Lady A & Omara: I am only human!! Couldnt resist for long. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.