Wednesday, July 04, 2007

One Year in Blogville

I still remember that day vividly as if it was yesterday - 4th July 2006. My beloved partner had decided on the spur of the moment that he was tired of bachelor hood and wanted to sign the dotted lines ASAP while I was still willing. (Got to pep my ego now) I swear I didnt goad or egg him into doing so. LOL!!


So I was sitting on the PC trying to google Virgin Nigeria and get the cheapest ticket back home so we could go and get a special licence to get married. I typed in google Nigeria and Aderemi's Post on Virgin Nigeria and their antics came up in the search. I was perpelexed why the virgin nigeria official website didnt come up but as fate would have it, his post was the 4th or 5th search and somehow was the first search I clicked on. I read through his post and was 'baptised' into the world of blogs and blogville. Had never heard of an online diary before. Search for cheap ticket abandoned, I sat down and went through his Bloglist and got lost in the the virtual world of blogs.

Started from his blog and moved to Adaure's Blog, Mona, Onada, Dilichi, Sugar is Sweet, Monef, Nneka, Buki, it was a very busy day for me and I just couldnt drag myself away from the PC. I swear I got lost online that day moving from one blog to the other, clicking on this link and that link and having no idea how to get back to the page I came from, reading both their archived posts as well as their current posts. I put all their links in my favourites list so I could come back to them and the rest they say is history.

Everyday, at least an hour was spent with my newly found friends, laughing with them, crying with them, sharing with them and eventually, I started my own blog Calabar Gal within days in which I wrote nonsensical things. I blush and cringe nowadays when I remember the stupid things I wrote then. Thankfully, there was a problem with the blog later on and all those posts got lost. It was difficult at first, whether to write in present tense, past tense, first person or reported speech or in narrative form etc. I remember Adaure was the very first to write a comment on my blog and then she had these wedding website links that kept me very busy indeed. Back home, I introduced the world of blogville to my family even though eventually, I had to confess I had one too and show them my own blog and swore them to secrecy that my identity would forever not be unveiled.


My blog had some viruses and for sometime I couldnt post on it. Which was good for me since most times, I couldnt think of what to write in it. Eventually, I started a new blog - Calabargal2 and its been smoother sailing since then. Some months later, Azuka helped me out and restored my settings and the original blog Calabar Gal came back to life but that has now been converted into my Food/Fitness Diary. Then again, while I was tweaking and playing with my template, the entire blog dissapeared and Buki was ever willing and not only offered to help but actually did help me restore my settings once again. I'm more careful these days. LOL!!


There were times I used to go through all the links on my bloglist daily and then go through London buki's blog list too (I made friends with almost everybody on her bloglist) but that is no more feasible these days. My friends are so many. Going through my own ever growing bloglist is no mean feat these days. LOL! Blogville has come a long way since then and its been a lovely journey. From the 'couch potatoe' I was last year, reading buki's fitness diaries inspired me to start my own fitness regime about 3 months ago and it is so nice to have you all to share tips and experiences with.

In a year, there have been a lot of births, deaths, bloggers have come and bloggers have jumped ship, some have gotten bored and have gone away but couldnt resist the lure and come back once again. Catfights and quarrels on several blogs ........... OK, lets not go there. LOL!! I'm not sure if I'll ever go away but there are times when writers block comes upon me but then I'll still keep trudging on.


Hubby has yabbed me several times that I write thousands of words on the internet and spend hours wandering from one blog to the other gathering info from blogs and wondered why I cant put the same effort I put into research in blogville into researching, writing and finishing my disertation for a course which I had paid thousands of pounds for. I asked myself that question too several times. LOL!!

I'm glad I found blogville and I have you lot too - too numerous to mention and still increasing daily. I have grown from the young lady I was last year in many ways and learnt a lot from your tears and laughter. Here's to you all and to many more years in blogville.

45 comments:

  1. One Year! Well done. A wonderful blog. The post about your dad will always stay with me. Sis, congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your one year bloggerversary!!! I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... a year already? I remember when your blog disappeared and I emailed you.. LOL! Thank God for Azuka!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats oh!!! Here's wishing u many more blogging days to come.

    @princess....i love that word u just coined "bloggerversary"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Calabargal! I'll remind you of the words in your profile "I'm a young lady on a solo sojourn into the blogging world. What this quest brings, only time will tell...." Time will certainly tell! Here's to you, Calabargal! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmamma, u mean u'v bin a blogger 4 a yr already? Congrats o; i didn't know that. I hv 2 find time 2 go through ur archive- i need 2 read da story abt ur dear dad. I learnt a big lesson aft spending a whole nite scouring Ubong da's archive, so it has 2b wkend or so. Dearie, congrats again. I'm ever proud of u.

    Luv ya,
    your friend in Catford.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 year already???? Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversay CG. Go have a blast, after all, it's ya day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty cool. Can't wait till I hit a year. Funny how so much happens that would be forgotten if not chronicled.

    Thanks for hitting up my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulatioons mrs!!!!! Your blog has truly being a source of entertainment and even inspiration to me and am sure other readers. Keep the fire burning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm.... one year after and its become one of the most popular blogs in blogville. U have done well dear and am glad you are in blogville cos u r such an inspiration.Congrats!

    ps: I can see another princess above o!I no no say we dey two for here,plzz how do i change my name(for easy identification,lol).Hit me up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogging is just more interesting than any other form of writing, that's just a fact. My so-called novels in progress are not getting anywhere....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy anniversary darling. You have indeed contributed to making blogging a worthwhile hubby for me. It wouldn't be the same around here without you. I appreciate you and here is wishing you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you came back too and are part of our blogville fam. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations...
    i like ur blog...

    u and mrs somebody are sisters..hmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary, your blog has been so inspirational and you're so helpful to everyone, here's looking forward to many more anniversary's. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hear, HEAR!

    *touches glass in air*

    :) Congrats...it's so homely up here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy One year anniversary, to many more years to come, to life long friendships, smiles, laughter, and of course cheesecake and champagne :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. awwww... how sweet!
    happy anniversary...
    i hope i last that long!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. congratulations,
    your blog is one i dont miss.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks everyone. I'm hoping for many more worthwhile anniversaries too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i remember you were one of the first few ppl that read my blog when i had just started out.. i think one of our first jokes was the dog meat thing.. i loved you instantly.. and have loved you since cos you write beautifully and you're so strong and loyal and an amazing person even though i dont know you outside of her.. its great this our blogsville cos you get to meet so many wonderful ppl and share you story and listen to theirs... i love it all.. heres to many more years.. and goodluck with the fitness thing.. i'm trying to see what i can do myself... love you lots mami...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy blogville anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Calabar gal

    ReplyDelete
  26. happy bloggervesary Calabargal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. congratulations...........the 404 thing...lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. http://nigeriahealthwatch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats!!!!!!
    But, I have to agree with your oga oh, as beautifully as you write, you should be finishing up your dissertation so we can all eat jollof rice and drink fanta in celebration with you!

    Congrats, again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy BLOGGY Anniversary babes. Love you lots....thanx for being real and thanx for liking my blog and thanx for all your wonderful comments....and I'm now @ the BBC studio waiting to make a request to wish Calabargal many more blogging years and many beautiful babies,,lol

    ReplyDelete
  31. At this point I can only dream that I can make 1yr. You keep writing cause I want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Calabar Girl, big congrats to you. Saw the post on Ababoy's blog. Wishing your blog more and greater things ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  33. congralutations, and happy blogday!!! I always read your blog and follow it religiously, congrats on your race as well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wishing u many more years in blogville

    ReplyDelete
  35. So late but still congratulations and happy belated blogday. May you have many more years on here.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi guys! A new series is about to start on my blog. Its called " The professional player" and is based on true life events, its crazy and involves me and one of our fellow bloggers! Don't miss it!

    Parental advisory: EXPLICIT CONTENT.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can you imagine?...i never had the 'blogs i love section' when i started blogging,but in no time i had that.There are others i go to everyday that i haven't put up on my view list.At blogvile i feel i'm home...and you know what you do at home...you there to stay...!

    ReplyDelete
  38. (singing.....)

    Congratulation...
    and Jubilation...
    Celebration....
    in Blogvillleeee....

    where the party @?

    ReplyDelete
  39. congratulations, indeed. I have always been an avid reader of your blog, but many times I dont leave a comment. But will try from today. Stay blessed and well. And do try and finish that disertation.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi calabargal,
    happy blogoversary, I am a complete JJC in Blogville...just started blogging this week .I enjoy reading your blog. I am an Akwaibomite, so I guess we do have something in coming lol. keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gal, dis ur blog is 2 squeaky clean o jare. Abi na bcos hubby dey follow read am? E be like say i go contaminate am small 2 create small excitement. Just thinking....i should answer ONB's "My Sex" questions and post here. In fact i'm sharing this blog with u from now on......LOL

    Ya pal

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! I have just started out last month, I do hope I will be able to post a similar blog looking back, this time next year. I have really really enjoyed reading this and am looking forward to reading more of your stuff.
    I can totally empathise with you - I have got a dissertation to finish, but alas I'd rather post and visit blogs than get on with it; possibly life's way of showing us where our heart is?
    x sin

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations!!!! That was an inspiring post about blogging. Reminded me of all the things I loved about it when I first started. I love your blog and your comments. Here to a long & hopefully lasting relationship with the blogsphere!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.