We got some very, very sad news yesterday. Very, very sad and disturbing news. My husband's niece went to see her elder kids in boarding school over the weekend as it was visiting day and left the younger kids at home with her husband. He went to a programme in church later on in the evening that day with the intention of coming back later on and asked them to lock up when going to bed.
Apparently, there was a blackout or something but the kids were home alone aged, 11, 9 and 4. Their mum came back late from visiting their elder siblings but the younger ones had gone to bed and she couldnt gain access to their home. So she went to the nearest police station and spent the night there.
Early the next morning, a neighbour helped her climb over the fence surrounding their home to help her open the gate since the kids werent responding to her banging on the gate. Alas, the neighbour raised an alarm after he had climbed over the fence that there was smoke coming from the building.
Maybe the kids had left a candle smouldering while they went to sleep, no one really knows. But they were overcome by the smoke and all three died in their sleep - smoke inhalation and suffocation. 3 hale and hearty, vibrant and beautiful kids gone in one fell swoop in the twinkle of an eye. They've lost 3 kids at a go. Their mum is so inconsolable and devastated. The words: If only....., If only....., What if......, What if......, abounds. Yesterday she was a mother of five, now reduced to 2. Its so, so sad. May their souls rest in perfect peace. Amen.