Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Child Safety

I witnessed a most disturbing sight this morning on my way to work.  This gentleman was on his bike smiling and riding away happily.  I do not begrudge him riding his bicycle about - in fact, if I could, I would ride a bicycle happily around this city and kill two birds with one stone - get fit and improve my mobility.  You see, the fact is that, I do not know how to ride a bicycle.  My parents never bought me one.  Infact, bicycles were an extremely scarce commodity in my area when I was growing up.  I had tried to learn when I finally came across a couple of bikes in my Uni days but balancing on two wheels was a herculean task I just could not figure.  I digress - back to the guy I saw today.  At least, he has gone  a step further than me as he can ride a bicycle and I cant.

Picture showing Top Tube the child stood on


My post is not about the fact that he was riding his bicycle past me with the wind blowing in his face.  My grouse is that he had a child, yes a child a four to five year old child standing, yes standing upright not sitting - standing on the top tube of his bicycle as he rode along.  They were both smiling as the wind caressed their faces and he paddled them along their route.  I could not believe my eyes.  Why oh why, would a full blown adult who should know better indulge a child and place her in harm's way?  Even if she had requested to ride his bicycle, there are specific child seats or he could have had her sitting on the top tube which even though is against the law, would have been safer than having her stand upright on his top tube.

Both of them were not wearing helmets.  He could have hit a pothole and both of them could have gone toppling down onto the hard road surface.  A horn could have been blown to startle them.  Anything could have happened.  Anything could have gone wrong.  I was so shocked I could only stare in astonishment at his carelessness.  At times like that you wish the authorities were near to knock some sense into his head.  I can only pray that they reached their destination which I presume could be her school safely and in one piece.

The saying is indeed true - common sense is  not so common.

4 comments:

  1. Yes o common sense is not common, my sister, the things most adult do would make u want to beat them, to them they are just having fun, at the detriment of the child safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again!! I was so scared for that child!

      Delete
  2. Safety culture is something we lack in Nigeria. Simple and sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simbiat Folarin is a great example of this. It blew my mind when I saw her on that bike 'campaigning'. Obviously she was not thinking when she should have known better.......

      Delete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.