Friday, March 06, 2015

Cinnamon Pancakes & Puff Puff

Pancakes - I love pancakes! I'm sure I could make them in my sleep (while I'm snoring away) if I tried.  I have fond memories (while growing up) of everyone being in the kitchen when pancakes were being prepared in my house.  You could not chase anyone away or get them to go and do another errand while those pancakes were frying.  Oh no - we all had to keep vigil over the frying pan and the pancakes so one person would not have more pancakes than the other.  The pancake vigilante was that serious because they were so delicious.

I was at my pal's place over the weekend and she had put in a request for some pancakes.  I made a mistake in the first couple of batches which came out hard because I forgot to put in eggs.  Yes, I admit it - we all are prone to errors even on good days. :)

Anyway, halfway through after tasting the pancakes we had fried so far (they were a little bit on the hard side) we talked ourselves through the steps and discovered that we had forgotten to put eggs in our mix. We got the eggs and included in the batter and the end result was a little bit closer to her expectations.  Here is a little run down of how we went about it.


Pancake Ingredients:
2 cups of flour
half cup of sugar
Butter (This is optional and can be added if you want an extremely rich  batter)
Milk or Water
Cinnamon (A small teaspoon)
Nutmeg (If ground, a small teaspoon will do)
1 Egg
1 cup of melted butter
Sunflower or Vegetable Oil

Step 1:  Gather all your ingredients together and take a picture.  Ok, that was a joke. :)  Get all your ingredients together, measure the required quantity into a mixing bowl.  P.S: (The yeast in the picture was used for the puff puff and not the pancake - I suppose I forgot to take a picture of the pancake ingredients before I started mixing my batter).

Step 2:  Measure the flour and all the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl.

Step 3:  Grate your nutmeg into the mix and add some cinnamon.  

Step 4:  Add the melted butter.


Step 5:  Break the egg into the mix, add your milk (or water if that is what you have got) and stir.  Mix till you get a smooth and drippy consistency.  






Step 6:  Heat your frying pan. or frying pans if you are like me.  I cant stand the heat in the kitchen so I always try to heat as  many frying pans as the cooker will allow. More often than not, this results in 3 - 4 pancakes frying at the same time.  #Multitasking things. :)

Step 7:  Add a teaspoon of sunflower oil into your frying pan.  You do not need a lot of oil to fry each pancake.  Use a cooking ladle and scoop the batter into the pan.  1 scoop per ladle per pan and allow the batter to spread all over the frying pan.


Step 8:  When one side has browned suitably, flip pancake over and allow the other side to cook (brown) as well.


Final Step:  Serve with tea or chocolate spread or peanut butter and tuck into its wholesome goodness.



Puff Puff Ingredients:
1 cup of Flour
1 tablespoon of Yeast
Sugar (To taste depending on how sweet you want your puff puff)
Sunflower Oil (for deep frying)
Nutmeg
Pepper
Onions

Step 1:  Add the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl.  Melt the yeast in warm water and add to your batter.  Even though my picture says I did the opposite, it is advisable that you melt your yeast in warm water before adding to the flour.  Add pepper and chopped onions to give some taste.  (This is optional and a personal preference.) Mix your batter and cover with a warm cloth for about an hour and allow your batter to rise.


Flour and Yeast



Batter








End Result (Puff Puff)

Next Step:  Bring your batter out after about an hour and deep fry your puff puff.  Sprinkle more sugar  or icing sugar (this is optional and another personal preference) after frying and serve as a snack.

P.S:  I was a bit distraught when  my batter did not rise after an hour.  I had to go into 'operation salvage your puff puff' mode.  I added some more flour to the mix and then fried the puff.  In my distraught state, I forgot to take pictures of the frying process which is just as well cos my puff puff tormented me further.  They developed arms and legs in the frying pan!!  They were still edible though.  :)

Have a lovely weekend!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, I should try my hands on this, especially the pancake, the sight of it make me salivate

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should - pancakes are a winner anyday.....

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.