Monday, March 16, 2015

Introducing Yvonne Akpoveta - Author and Inspirational Speaker



Calabar Gal supports individuals who strive to impact on others around them or in their chosen paths.  We will be talking to various individuals in the series who will share their story and our very first guest on the blog is a lady who has chosen to impact knowledge without any restrictions - Yvonne Akpoveta, a Change Consultant, Inspirational Speaker and Coach.  This is one lady who is not resting on her oars.  She is an author who is currently on a 3 city promotional book tour in Toronto, London and Lagos of her book - The Change You Want.  

Calabar Gal had a chat with Yvonne Akpoveta ahead of the London Book Signing event which takes place on Thursday 19th March at  Mayfair Exchange, 34 Brook Street, London W1K 5DN.  (Nearest station: Bond Street Station).


Please start by introducing yourself
I am Yvonne Akpoveta and I grew up in Lagos, Nigeria.  I am Urhobo from Delta State.  My mum is from Akwa Ibom State so I am half Delta and half Akwa Ibom.  I have had the privilege to work and live in England and Nigeria, and I now live in Totonto, Canada.

What is your educational background?  
I attended primary and secondary school in Nigeria and my university education was in London where I studied Business Information Technology and Marketing.  I also have an MBA from Warwick Business School.

What did you do before you ventured into the Entrepreneurial Field?
 I worked as a Business Analyst and Project Manager.  I have to say entrepreneurship has always been a part of me as far back as when I was a teenager when I would bake cakes to sell.

Tell us about OliveBlue
OliveBlue is Yvonne Ruke Akpoveta.  I am an entrepreneur and a creative person.  I am an Author, Speaker, Change Management Consultant and Certified John Maxwell Leadership Coach.  I work with individuals, entrepreneurs and organisations to help make change and achieve their goals.

Why did you choose to set up your business (OliveBlue)?
This was a natural progression for me - it was an outlet to live my desires and dreams.

Describe yourself/Olive Blue in five words
Helping people (Organisations) achieve their goals.

What are the logistics associated with an OliveBlue training?
It all depends on the client.  The best thing would be to reach out to me via the OliveBlue website.  You can also connect with me via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.

Tell us about your book
My book - "The Change You Want! Change Your Mindset and Change Your Life" is on the power of Mindset as the key and foundation to achieving our goals.  I talk about 21 simple principles we can easily implement to overcome barriers we may not even be aware of, and taking our outcomes from good to great. I have also two published guide and workbooks on Business Start-up and accelerating one's career.
What are the challenges associated with your work/starting a business of your own?
While you have the luxury of working your own hours, there is also nothing like a day off most times.  You have to have the right type of mindset suited to being an entrepreneur, which includes being persistent, creative and resilient.

Where do you see yourself in the next 3 - 5 years?
I plan on having another book published in 2015.  I also plan to continue writing, speaking and delivering training globally.

Where do you source materials/inspiration for your work?
Things just come to mind and I write or do them as they occur.  My experience and work with clients forms the core as well as reading and being out there.

What is your favourite aspect of being a motivational speaker?  
The fact that I am out there helping and inspiring people to make positive changes in their lives and organisations.

What advice do you have to aspiring motivational speakers and entrepreneurs?
My advice would be to know what you want and go after it.  But remember that everything is a process and there is often nothing like 'overnight success'.

What are your thoughts on feminism?
I'm not big on labels.  Kudos to feminists and non-feminists.  What is important is that we are all doing our own little bit one way or the other to help make the world a better place.

Please tell us about your next event
I am currently doing a book tour in Toronto, London and Lagos.  Three Inspiring Cities and Three Inspiring Events.  The London event takes place at 6pm on Thursday 19th March at Mayfair Exchange, 34 Brook Street, London.  Bond Street Station is the nearest underground station.

"The Change You Want" is available on Amazon and Konga.

We could not let Yvonne go without firing some random questions at her:
Favourite Food:  I simply love food.  I just love food  - it depends on my mood.
Favourite Movie:  Ermmm.... Thomas Crown Affair with Pierce Brosnan I think
If you could be an Animal for a day, which one would you be? I dont want to be an animal for a day but I do love dogs and puppies.
What are your Pet Peeves?  The new short form of writing/texting that makes no sense to me and bad behaviour or lack of etiquette.
What item would you not leave home without?  My Smartphone.

Thank you Yvonne for chatting with Calabar Gal.  Please save the dates for the Lagos and London book tour or click on the banners in the sidebar for more details.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.