Monday, March 02, 2015

Thy Will Be Done - Nollywood Movie Review

I think I received an email from Iroko TV about the upcoming London premiere of  'Thy Will Be Done'.  I made a mental note to try and attend the premiere as it featured all my favourite people - Ramsey Nouah, Mercy Johnson Okojie, Marry Remmy Njoku, Jide Kosoko amongst others. Disclaimer:  This review may not be as punchy as Joy Isi Bewaji's review of Being Mrs Elliot but I'll try my best.  Read at your own peril.

The movie is about Pastor Pius who got married to his first wife - Mary Remmy Njoku's character.  On their wedding day, something happened and she was abducted.  As the circumstances surrounding her abduction unfolded, she was eventually ordered to change from her wedding gown into another outfit and somehow set free and asked to run for her life without looking back.  She ran through the bushes but into the path of an oncoming car driven by a retired army general and ended up in hospital.  None of her relatives could be traced - it did not help that she had lost her memory completely.  When she got better and was due to be discharged from hospital, she was released into the care of the general who made her his maid.


One day seven years later, as she was watching TV, she saw her husband's outreach programme being aired and this jolted her memory which came flooding back.  She ran away from the General's home and went to the church to look for him (Pastor Pius).   

While his (first) wife was missing, Pastor Pius had been informed that his wife's body had been found. He identified her body and she was buried.  He then proceeded to live as a widowed pastor until he met Lucy (Mercy Johnson Okojie's character) in church and they got married.  Cue to the present and the first wife resurrects from the dead.  Pastor Pius and his wife Lucy's (Mercy Johnson's character) world is shaken to its foundation by her arrival as she starts living with them.  Lucy is not willing to share her man and wants her husband to send his first (former?) wife away so they can continue living in their cocoon.  

Pastor is torn between his first wife whom he discovers he still has feelings for and his current wife whom he loves also.  Lucy will do whatever it takes to remain the only 'Mrs Pastor' and revert to the 'status quo ante' first wife's arrival.  The church council of elders do not make it easier for Pastor Pius when they suggest it would be unpalatable for the congregation to find out that their pastor is living with two women even if he is inadvertently married to both of them. 

There were a couple of love scenes in this movie and they were so tastefully delivered.  The scenc where first wife was preparing a meal in the kitchen and Pastor Pius and Lucy were  making out noisily in the bedroom.  I say noisily because Mary Njoku's actions (in the kitchen) during the shukushukubambam (Sisi Yemmie - permit me to borrow your term) by Pastor Pius and Lucy (in the bedroom) was hilarious and peaked at an exhiliarating crescendo.  The love scene where Pastor Pius and Mary Njoku's shukushukubambam played out was also very nice and tasteful.  

All the scenes with the church elders were also very enlivening.  They had given Pastor an ultimatum to choose one wife.  They informed him that he is mixing egusi and ogbono and has to stick to one. (Well, not in the same words but I just could not resist the pun.)  However, they are divided on which wife should remain when Pastor asks them to help as he cant make such decision.  The council of elders delivered their scenes convincingly.  Each scene was a treat.

Lucy fights to save her marriage, decides to investigate the resurrected first wife and this leads to her meeting the General who unwittingly unleashes the first wife's can of worms.  She uses this as a weapon to get her husband to choose.  The last wife standing is revealed at the end of the movie.   I do not want to spill all the beans now.  Please look out for this movie on Iroko TV and you'll be glad you did,

There were a couple of close ups in the movie, the arial shots were fascinating, and the movie was very well put together.  The cinematography was fantastic.  (*Sigh* I'm repeating myself again)  There were also a couple of punchlines in the movie which had the audience in stitches.  At no point in time did any punchline fall flat.  The movie did not drag on endlessly.  You know there are times when a movie starts and by the end of the first scene you ask your self - why did I even bother?  Thy Will be done is not one of such movies - as each scene is being played out, you wonder what happens next?  This anticipation goes on and on up till the end which did not disappoint at all.  

Overall, Thy Will Be Done is a marvelous movie which ticks all the boxes if you are looking for good entertainment.  It highlights feminism in the society (African society if you want to narrow it down) and has raised a lot of questions about society's reactions and attitudes to issues (sins) which arise.  Religion is sometimes used as a smokescreen for discrepancies or justification of our sin.  The movie showcased extremely strong female characters.  Both wives characters were strong and positive in diverse ways.  They both stood behind their husband but something had to give (as always).  

PS:  I was busy doing paparazzi downstairs and missed the beginning of the movie.  Got to the screening room halfway through so please excuse me if there are any lapses in my narration.  I'm also waiting for its release on Iroko TV so I can sit back with my popcorn and enjoy all the bits I missed all over again.  I'll fill in the missing gaps then.......


18 comments:

  1. This is a topic that is close to my heart... Many thanks!
    Where are your contact details though?

    My web-site :: Carpet Cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I
    had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to
    everything. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers?
    I'd genuinely appreciate it.

    Look at my weblog - Carpet Cleaner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rookie Blogger,

      I'm glad you enjoyed reading my post as much as I enjoyed writing it. My advice to you would be to persevere until you find your niche. Do whatever makes you happy and it will all turn out ok in the end.

      Other bloggers have dealt with this issue recently:

      Sisi Yemmie: http://www.sisiyemmie.com/2015/02/how-to-deal-with-negative-positive-blog.html

      Berry Dakara: http://berrydakara.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/blog-talk-blogger-envy.html

      Tuke Morgan: http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/02/24/adetuke-morgan-24-things-i-learned-from-blogging

      I'm sure you'll learn a thing or two from their experience.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring
    on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same topics you discuss and would love
    to have you share some stories/information. I know my
    viewers would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.


    Also visit my page: Carpet Cleaner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will put some thought into your suggestion.

      Delete
  4. I think this is among the most significant information for me.

    And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent :
    D. Good job, cheers

    Feel free to visit my web page - burn games ()

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.

      I'm a little bit shocked that all everyone is raving about is what the celebrities wore to the premiere. Almost all the seats in the movie premiere room was almost filled - there was an extremely good attendance. Its rankling that it is not the substance of the film that is on everyone's lips (Well, at least those who saw the movie).

      Delete
  5. You should be a part of a contest for one of the greatest websites online.
    I most certainly will recommend this web site!

    Also visit my site Carpet Cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but
    good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

    Also visit my weblog: educational site for recipes and quilting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I attended the premiere remember? U get information from movie premieres or by actually watching the movie.......

      Delete
  7. Peculiar article, just what I wanted to find.

    Here is my weblog: http://ebbstore.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A simple push with the opportunity to rate can give your ambassadors a platform to evangelize the product.
    The timer will only reset when you collect your free coins, so collect them as soon as possible,
    and the best way to remind yourself is via the push notifications.
    Amazon has today updated the app offerings on its Fire TV and Fire
    TV Stick, which includes the award-winning Sling
    TV.

    Feel free to visit my website: crossy road

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very straightforward to find out any matter on net as compared to
    textbooks, as I found this piece of writing at this web
    page.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog; http://ebbstore.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pay day cash loans is just another avenue for additional information on rather than home financing
    which has a lasting repayment plan that will require
    a credit assessment Buy 50 Facebook Likes poor credit auto loan following a bankruptcy - bad credit auto loans are perfect in the event
    you have recently filed for bankruptcy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I do think your blog may be having internet browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in I.E.,
    it has some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Besides that, wonderful blog!

    My blog post direct accident reviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. Without it, he'll never have some time on his own to realize that not having you around isn't what he pictured
    - and that he misses you. cost, or more than one permanent to return to the field.

    Send news or tips to ohionewsbureau@gmail.

    My blog; tap titans all heroes in dota

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.