Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Edible Termites....

Yummy Roasted Termites

I was inducted into the termite eating club in boarding house.  It was a wet night and the termites convened around the fluorescent bulb outside the dormitory for their Michaelmas meeting.  Fellow boarders were so excited as they swooped on the termites and interrupted their meeting.  I had never seen termites being swooped upon in such manner and could only observe from the sidelines until I was egged on by another student to help out.
Termites: One Man's meat..........


Necessity is the Mother of Invention they say.  Very true I agree for suddenly, candles and empty Milo/milk tins were whipped out to assist in toasting the unfortunate termites.  The end result was delicious.  Pure joy! Suffice to say I was successfully inducted and hooked - never to depart from the termite eating club.

When the termites came for their Lent and Trinity meetings, we were back home for the holidays and dealt with them in a most appropriate manner. We must have saved our parents a pretty penny for it was the 'go to' snack for most of the holiday.  Even my mum joined in the hunt and was a faithful hunting partner for many more years.

Have you tried this delicacy? What is your take on them?

Photo Credit: Ikhide Ikheloa

6 comments:

  1. Deliciousness!! I

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can say that again!! I'm salivating over here! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that’s interesting! I have never seen so many termites at once. Last year there were some termites at my home so I hired a professional Pest control Port Macquarie team for dealing with them. Since then, didn’t saw them in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen so many termites at once. Last year there were some termites at my home so I hired a professional pest control team for dealing with them. Since then, didn’t saw them in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bumped into this blog while making my post on edible termites this morning. This is really nice. My food blog is: www.helensfood.com

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: All comments and opinions put down in the comment section of this blog are the opinions and comments of the authors/comment writers alone. For the avoidance of doubt, the comments in the comment section below do not represent the opinion of Calabar Gal.