**To avoid in-fighting in Eaglets’ camp, Nigeria Football Federation officials sourced money to pay some of the bills.
**Presidency not happy with Team selection that have nearly 95% boys from the South East and South South.
Days after the Nigerian Golden Eaglets won the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile, President Muhammadu Buhari refused to approve the budget presented by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for the Golden Eaglets’ participation in the championship. However, a top official of the National Sports Commission (NSC), a politician, has absolved the Presidency of any blame for the delay in approving the money.
|Golden Eaglets - 2015 Under 17 world cup winners|
The FIFA U 17 World Cup, Chile 2015 started on October 17 with the Golden Eaglets having a smooth sail, crushing all their opponents to retain the cup, the have now won 5 times.
Officials of the NFF had been running from pillar to post trying to raise money for the team in Chile, some of them used their own money to ensure that our Eaglets were properly taken care of especially proper feeding. That non-approval of the budget by President Buhari forced the NFF to cut down its official delegation to Chile. The Presidency claimed that it is waiting for the NFF to make public the amount of money it raised from corporate organisations in its sponsorship drive for the Golden Eaglets’ participation in the World Cup. Only the NFF President Amaju Pinnick and Deputy General Secretary, Emmanuel Ikpeme, were said to have made the trip to Chile a few days ago to cheer the Golden Eaglets in the semifinal against Mexico.
To avoid a breakdown of law and order in Eaglets’ camp in Chile, a top official of the NFF was said to have sourced for funds to enable the body pay winning bonuses and camp allowances to the players and their officials pending the approval of the budget by the Presidency. Asked why the Presidency is yet to approve NFF’s budget for the Golden Eaglets’ participation in Chile 2015 World Cup, a top official of the NSC claimed that “We met on Tuesday with the NFF and staff of the Presidency and we were guided on the memo because the event is on-going and we need a brief on creditors, who supported the journey so far. The General Secretary of the NFF was in the meeting and he has conveyed our message to the NFF.”
The NFF Secretary General, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, explained that the soccer House did not embark on any form of fund raising for Golden Eaglets’ participation in Chile, adding that anybody spreading such rumour was looking for a way to paint the NFF in bad light before the Presidency.
“We did not receive money from any corporate organisation for the Golden Eaglets’ participation in Chile. Whoever is saying such things is spreading falsehood, which is not good for our football,” Sanusi said. Some officials of NFF claimed that the Presidency is not happy with the selection of the Team which have nearly 95% boys from the South East and South South. Their plan is to frustrate the team and blame their failure on wrong selection.
It is a shame, How will the president and the President feel when they returns home. They are celebrating a victory they tactically frustrated. - Hope For Nigeria.